Saturday, June 04, 2016

How to change your Ubuntu password

The LinkedIn incident just reminded me to change my password. It’s been years. I do have a account (left to gather dust) there so to be on the safe side it’s a good idea to change all my passwords.

Anybody reading this should probably do the same if you haven’t already. It’s the unfortunate reality of the modern world.

I’m on Ubuntu GNOME right now, so I’ll be reproducing the relevant steps here (easily found here).

  1. In Activities, search for Users.
  2. In Users, click on ….. to change your password. You may need to click Unlock first.
  3. Fill in your current password, and new password (twice) then click on Change to make the change.

GNOME password.png
Key in your current password, new password, and new password again to verify.

Super simple. You don’t have to go through Terminal to make the required changes.