Saturday, August 08, 2015

Is your home really not scary at all?

ats_screen06.jpg


Maybe I should not have picked up Among the Sleep.

Not because it’s scary (which it is but then I’ve only just started) but rather because I seem to not be able to play FPS anymore. After a half hour of gaming, I’m ready to empty my stomach juices onto the monitor. It’s been a problem for a while now though I usually don’t encounter it due to not playing FPS very often.

So, right now I’m not sure just how much of this interesting game I can take.

The developers did a great job of taking a mundane scenario and giving it an interesting twist. A 2-year-old exploring his house in the middle of the night? Most would feel petrified, I’m sure. The environment is set a bit too dark for proper exploration but then that’s the point, isn’t it? Things you can’t see tend to be scarier.

Gameplay is simple: you can crawl, walk, or run and interacting with the environment is mostly manipulating small objects or pushing large objects around to move around or gain access to various areas. Can’t get much simpler than that.

Now if only it weren’t so dark that I can’t see where I’m supposed to head to next...