Monday, March 30, 2015

Just enough parts to run the HTPC

Archgon BluRay drive

So I've ordered a Archgon BluRay drive a last week and it arrived. I now have enough to actually run my HTPC build although it'll be limited to optical media playback for now. The storage drives will come later.

Unfortunately, I've hit a snag. OpenELEC detects a DVD inserted into the drive but selecting play disc doesn't do anything. Attempting to play the VOB files manually only worked for what looks like a advertisement video on the disc but the actual content I'm trying to watch doesn't play. I suspect it's a DRM thing and I'll need to install something extra.

So, I'm stuck with a non-working HTPC for the time being pending figuring out how to "fix" this little problem.

Here's a photo of OpenELEC 5.0.5 running. That small black box you see on the left is the HTPC.

OpenELEC 5.0.5 in action...
Update:

I'm not the only one having these issues, it seems. Others have had similar problems for a while now. I just hope a simple update to the latest version can at least reduce the problems to a more bearable level.