Sunday, February 08, 2015

The beginning of my HTPC

Cooler Master power supply and casing boxed.



I ordered a casing and power supply recently, and they've arrived. These two will be part of my budget HTPC build. They're pictured above still in their boxes (a Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced and a Cooler Master Elite Power 350W).

I'll be taking my time ordering parts in small batches.

Here's the proposed specifications for the HTPC.

Casing: Cooler Master Elite 120 Advanced
Power Supply: Cooler Master Elite Power 350W
Motherboard: Sapphire Pure White AMD E350 Mini-ITX
Memory: Adata DDR3 1600 240 Pin DIMM RAM 2GB
Storage: Archgon CB-5021-GB Internal Blue Ray Burner, Western Digital 3TB Hard Disk (2 initially in RAID1 using btrfs, 3 eventually in RAID5 using btrfs)
Operating System: OpenElec

I'd initially wanted to make a separate NAS and HTPC build so I can separate storage from the media player. I'd even asked on G+ and got awesome input. This was supposed to be a higher spec'd build running the NAS while a Raspberry Pi build was supposed to the the HTPC.

In the end, I realised it wasn't a good idea for me. I've never build a NAS or a HTPC before. Tackling 2 new things at once is probably a bad thing. So instead I'll be combining them into a single machine to reduce the number of unknowns to a more manageable number.

Next purchase: Motherboard and RAM.

No comments:

Post a Comment