Thursday, October 02, 2014

AMD Radeon on Ubuntu 14.04 - It's not a pleasant experience

Hmmm... okaay...

I'm sure glad Ubuntu 14.10 will be out soon. I can't wait to upgrade already. And not because there's some killer feature in there that I'd like to get my hands on.

In fact, it's quite the opposite. I'd very much like to get away from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS ASAP due to the flickering that's driving me crazy. Every second or so the monitor display flickers when I use the open source drivers.

Here's a short video that illustrates the screen flickering I'm having.


I highly doubt it's the monitor since installing Catalyst makes it much less annoying (although it's still there).

On the other hand, Catalyst seems to have its own issues. The first boot of the day gives me a white/black screen. The only way to "fix" it is to press reset. Attempts to switch VTs have failed. Sometimes, it even happens when I play a game or video. I know Ubuntu is still running fine from the sounds coming from my speakers, but I can't do anything but reset since I can't see a thing.

So here's to hoping Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn will have a fix for me.

Update: Today is the first time I'm getting the white screen while using open source drivers. I'm starting to wonder if it's a hardware problem instead. I'd test it out but don't have a spare GPU laying around.

No comments:

Post a Comment