Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Firefox 29 is awesome

Nope Ubuntu 14.04 LTS hasn't landed Firefox 29.0, yet. But I can't wait to get my hands on it already.

And why shouldn't I be excited? The new UI is quite simply the biggest change in recent years. Finally, something nice and juicy to bite into.

Tabs that fade into the background to minimise distractions? I didn't find them particularly distracting but it's a nice change of pace.

A customisable Firefox Menu? I like the sound of that. Along with the new bookmark buttons these two should be the nicest changes this round. I hope i can (finally) rid myself of the bookmark bar while still getting easy and not messy looking quick access to my bookmarks. Getting more screen real estate for the page I'm reading is a added bonus.

asm.js + Emscripten sounds awesome too. It's probably just a driver issue but Ubuntu 13.10 occasionally stalls on certain Javascript intensive sites. I haven't noticed that so far since upgrading to Ubuntu 14.04 but an extra performance boost in addition to the GPU driver is always welcome.

More details in the release notes and announcement.