Friday, December 07, 2012

Giving Windows 8 a chance

With all the negative hype surrounding Windows 8, it seems a pretty bad idea to get a system pre-loaded with Microsoft's latest offering. But, I've decided to give it a go.

I've ordered myself a Dell Inspiron 14z. Order's confirmed and I'm expecting the new notebook to arrive shortly after Christmas.

We'll see just how bad Windows can be. Too bad I won't be experiencing the touch capabilities, but I'm not willing to fork out that much of a premium for a touchscreen.

Maybe next time.

So what's the specs I'm getting? Here's the crucial ones.

Processor: 3rd Generation Intel Core i3-3217U processor (3M Cache, 1.8 GHz)
Memory: 4GB 1 DIMM (4GB x1) DDR3 1600Mhz
Storage: 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 3000/4000
Operating System:Windows 8 Single Language, English (64bit)

Dell says I'm getting HD 3000 IGP but Intel says it's HD 4000? I'll have to wait and see but I'm inclined to believe Intel in this case.

Update: Apparently, things are moving faster than it first looks. Delivery has been moved up to about a week before X'mas.