Sunday, June 17, 2012

Impossible Creatures on Ubuntu 12.04

It's been years since I've finished this game. It's one of those rare games that I do finish. I guess I need to work on completing the games I play.

System specification

Here's my system's specs:

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 620 2.6GHz
Memory: 2.5GB DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics: Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 1GB with Catalyst 12.4
Operating system: Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
Wine version: 1.4

Installation


The game installs without problems. I used Wine's defaults. No extras were installed to get the installation to run and complete. To run the installer from terminal:

~$ cd /media/IC
~$ wine Setup.Exe

Unlike Windows, Linux is case sensitive to be sure to get the upper/lower cases right.

Playing the game

The game generally runs fine. No crack was required to get it to run. There are some caveats though:

  • Sound gets choppy, or disappears altogether, after a few minutes into the game. Sometimes it doesn't even work properly from the start.
  • If you use camera rotate, you'll want to reassign the Alt key to something else. Ubuntu's Unity uses it to bring up the HUD so camera rotate doesn't work until you reassign the shortcut for the HUD to something else.
  • Conversations apparently stop with no way to continue. I don't remember if it's the same for Windows but just press Esc to resume in-game conversations.
  • Just as I wanted to quit, the game froze while loading the last mission I was playing. I'm not sure if this is a one time thing, or if it'll happen frequently. Just in case, save frequently to avoid replaying large parts of the game.

Playing through the first few missions of the game was smooth except for the above glitches.