Monday, December 26, 2011

Installing Handbrake on Ubuntu 11.10

Handbrake isn't available from the official Ubuntu software repositories, so to install this handy video transcoder you'll need to make use of the Handbrake PPA on Launchpad.

Unfortunately, there's only snapshot builds for Ubuntu 11.10 at this time but it's still more than stable enough for daily use.

Handbrake 0.9.5 running in Ubuntu 11.10

Here's how to get Handbrake onto your Ubuntu.

~$ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:stebbins/handbrake-snapshots
~$ sudo apt-get update
~$ sudo apt-get install handbrake-gtk

It's as simple as that.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for your help on this I am starting my first conversion now. Windows better watch out linux is the new hotness

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - just been to launchpad and logged in, but I cannot see how I report a bug.

    If you install this package, it will set Handbrake as the default application for all video files, which is a real pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Strange I didn't have that issue. I always had to manually pick Handbrake from the context menu otherwise videos open with my default player (Totem).

      You could try heading to System Settings > Details and set your media player of choice for Videos from there.

      Delete