Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Firefox 6.0 on Ubuntu 11.04

Barely a day had gone and Firefox 6 is already available to Ubuntu 11.04 users. Just fire up Update Manager and pull in today's updates if you haven't already to enjoy Mozilla's latest and greatest.

So, what does Firefox 6 bring? The three most impactful, I'd say are:
  • Reduced browser startup time when using Panorama
  • Fixed several stability issues
  • Fixed several security issues
Startup time, stability and security improvements are always good. More improvements available on the release notes. Unfortunately, we'll have to wait at least another 6 weeks before we get to enjoy improvements to Firefox memory management.

2 comments:

  1. I found it very frustrating that Ubuntu shipped this only one day after it was released; I use elasticfox plugin very extensivey, and just in June 22 I had to run around and figure out a new way to install my plugins, and only just now the dust has settled, and all of a sudden my firefox is incompatible with my required plugin. I think it would have been more reasonable to put it into 11.10 or even the next release.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for pointing that out.

    Maybe you could try editing the .xpi file? Here's a link for that though the article is a bit old: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Editing_an_add-on_to_change_its_compatibility

    It looks to me like elasticfox isn't on Mozilla's servers but is downloaded from Amazon so, unfortunately, you'll need to wait for them to update it officially if manually editing doesn't work.

    ReplyDelete