Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Setting up port forwarding for Netgear DG834Gv5

Having never needing port forwarding for my home network (until now), I've never realised just how convoluted it is on the Netgear DG834Gv5. So I've had this wifi router for some time now. I had a post a while back on configuring wifi for the router.

Now that I'm experimenting with remote control software on the HTC Desire HD, it turns out I need to setup port forwarding on the Netgear router.

Port forward configuration

On most routers I've seen port forwarding is a straightforward process. There's a page in the web-based configuration specifically for setting this up. Not so on the NetGear DG834Gv5.

Netgear DG834Gv5 Services
Here, port forwarding is a two step process. First, you'll need to create a service under Content Filtering->Service that specifies the port range you want. Name it something related to the purpose you intend it for.

Add the firewall rule, apply, and you're done
Next, you'll need to go under Firewall rules and add a rule that uses the port you've setup in the first step. In my case, I wanted to allow an inbound connection forwarded to my desktop so I added an inbound traffic rule that used the service I created to forward all traffic on the specific port to my desktop's IP. It's just a matter of selecting the service by name, and typing in your local IP address.

It's as simple as that once you know how to do it. Information on how to setup port forwarding came from PortForward.com. It's a great resource for port forward setup of a lot of routers.