Thursday, April 22, 2010

Ubuntu 10.04 Release Candidate out

This week we see the Release Canditate for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS. Things should be more or less stabilised by now making this a nice point in the development cycle for the less adventurous to test the waters.

I've been eagerly awaiting this day for months! I've tried upgrading earlier in the cycle before for previous Ubuntu versions but the experience weren't exactly nice. While things can be generally stable, it's almost always inevitable that my ATi hardware will not run well for one reason or another.

Since I don't run "test machines" it's quite obvious that any problems will affect my daily computing experience. A lot. Not a good idea, but I know a test machine will just go untested so I'd rather run on my production machine instead.

So, I've held myself back from upgrading too early for several cycles now. A RC release is generally stable enough that I won't face too many problems. If anything goes wrong I'll just have a week's wait for final release. That's a much more bearable trade off.

So what's to be expected from the Release Candidate?

Firefox (without Yahoo!) - Google's back as the default search engine. I prefer it that way anyway. Since it's 3.6.x there's a much needed improvement to Firefox in store, too.

New theme - Actually, I've given Radiance a go. It's too bright for me, but maybe Ambience will do better? It'll take a bit of getting used to.

Docky - Surprisingly, the most interesting thing to me is Docky. It's not even part of the default desktop. I've tried GNOME Do for a while until I couldn't stand the memory leaks anymore but it's definitely worth a second look. Docky is the dock frontend to Do. The version in the repos is newer than what I used a few months back, so the memory leak situation should at least be much improved.

Boot experience - Nothing like a faster boot to brighten your day. Here's to hoping for that 20s boot like I did back with Jaunty.