Saturday, November 07, 2009

Getting Google Chrome for Linux

For those just itching to get their hands on Google Chrome running on Linux, head over to the early access channel. Download the 32bit or 64bit version as appropriate for your computer and install the deb package. I downloaded the 32bit version as I'm still stuck in 32bit Jaunty when I wrote this.

~$ sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-unstable_current_i386.deb

Google lists the following as requirements:

Processor: Intel Pentium 4 / Athlon 64 or later;
Operating system: 32- or 64-bit Ubuntu 8.04 or later, or 32-bit Debian 5

Google Chrome for Linux is still under heavy development so expect bugs and missing features. Having said that it's running much faster than FireFox 3.0 though I haven't tested it thoroughly yet.

My feeling is that I'll end up using Chrome as my main browser at least until I upgrade to 64bit Karmic unless it turns out to be unbearably unstable.