Saturday, April 25, 2009

Delays delays but finally we're on the road to Jaunty

Jaunty's been released just a couple days ago and already there's sign of trouble. Last night's attempts at starting the upgrade process kept giving "Check your Internet connection" messages. Well, I did. It's running perfectly fine thank you. Still, update manager insists I don't have an Internet connection so I've tried yet again today afternoon.

Finally, it's able to talk to the Ubuntu servers. I'm assuming the tsunami of upgraders have overloaded their servers yesterday which lead to the strange error message I was getting. No matter. Now Intrepid's happily away telling me there's about another 4 or 5 hours before all the packages will be fully downloaded...

On an unrelated note, I've finally bought the initial parts I'll need to upgrade my sister's prehistoric PIII to a more modern option. My plan is to build a AMD-based machine since I've never personally experienced just how "bad" everybody seems to think it is. It can't be any worse than the PIII she's having now, right? :-P

Just a Netgear WG311 & Samsung 2033SW LCD for now. Her old CRT's giving problems that, although probably isn't too expensive to repair, is a good enough excuse for a change to a more current display. The wireless card will ensure her PC can get 'net access for now. Come June or July, we'll see how AMD's offerings look and tweak our plans accordingly...