Thursday, November 08, 2007

Dealing with UIF files

Just got my hands on a CD image in UIF format. Why can't people just use standard formats? Oh well, no matter. Thanks to Wine & MagicISO, I can still get what I want :-D

First, install the wine package that's available from the repositories:

~$ sudo apt-get install wine

Next, get MagicISO installer from the site and install it using wine

~$ wine Setup_MagicISO.exe

Finally, double click the newly created icon on your desktop to startup MagicISO. Go to Tools->Decompress UIF image... and choose the UIF file in question for source. MagicISO automatically suggests a name for destination. I went with it but you can change it if you want.

Click on the button that says decompress, then just wait for the operation to finish. You now have a nice standard ISO file that you can burn onto CD.

The alternative: uif2iso

For those who prefer native tools Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) has uif2iso nicely packaged in the repositories. Simply install uif2iso from terminal:

~$ sudo apt-get install uif2iso

Once installed navigate to the folder containing your UIF image in terminal, and enter:

~$ uif2iso foobar.uif foobar.iso

where, foobar is the name of your UIF image file.

You should have a proper ISO image ready once the command completes.

Related posts:

Splitting cue/flac files
Converting cue/bin files to ISO
Converting CCD images to ISO

20 comments:

  1. I'm glad my post helped somebody :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll second the original comment. I'm a total Ubuntu newbie, and this post was very helpful to me in extracting data from a .uif file. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Helped me out to. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am also a newbie to Ubuntu, I like the above method but find the following alternative more appealing instead of installing MagicISO and Wine,

    Just download the UIF2ISO converter from
    http://aluigi.altervista.org/mytoolz.htm

    Extract the contents of the zip file.
    Inside the folder in which you extracted there should be a folder called as "src" this contains the source code of the uif2iso converter.

    Just type "make" after you have navigated into the "src" folder inside the terminal.

    This should generate an executable by the name "uif2iso", next to convert uif to an ISO, just type
    ./uif2iso < path to uif file > < name for iso file >
    and thats it.

    However you need the package "GNU Make","build-essentials" and "libssl-dev" already installed inorder to compile the uif2iso file.
    To install type the following in your terminal :-
    sudo apt-get install build-essential make libssl-dev

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Stephen. Due to this post being active recently I've actually been searching around for a Linux native solution.

    uif2iso works from what I've read, though I was hoping for a more "accessible" solution for the less technical users. It's unfortunate that Ubuntu's own repositories don't seem to have a ready made package

    Thanks for the input ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can check Linux .uif to .iso for some info and links regarding .uif images

    ReplyDelete
  7. I followed this tutorial(Linux .uif to .iso). It helped me walk through installing UIF2ISO on Ubuntu.

    I liked it, because I could easily follow it step by step.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you sir!

    I love ubuntu more everytime.

    ReplyDelete
  9. super cool

    huh, windows on Linux whatever next

    nice tip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the help. Helped me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks. this helped me a lot as uif2iso had given me make problems.

    ReplyDelete
  12. just wanted to thank you for the tip, am a total newbie on linux and ubuntu...

    simple, clear step by step instructions to follow :)

    best regards,

    ReplyDelete
  13. As an update to this topic: under Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx, type:

    sudo apt-get install uif2iso

    then navigate in CLI to the directory containing the target .uif file, and enter:

    uif2iso sample.uif sample.iso
    And the job is done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Michael. I've updated the post.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for your help. uif2iso works fine in Ubuntu 11.04.

    ReplyDelete