Thursday, October 04, 2007

Use Deluge!

For the past week, I've been using Deluge torrent on Ubuntu for my BT'ing purposes. An interesting feature of Deluge is the full stream encryption support. It even comes enabled by-default, so no need for the user to fiddle with those settings :-D


Anyway, thanks to Deluge I've finally been able to get around Streamyx throttling it seems. Full stream encryption + fresh & popular torrents == great speeds

Hey, don't take my word for it. Just check it out yerselves ;-)


So far so good, though it's not all roses. Please keep in mind that this is still a very young BT client. It's got it's warts. It runs fine on Feisty for the few days I tried it, but Deluge seems like a wild horse on Gutsy Beta. There are random crashes that seem to happen frequently when fiddling with the preferences, so I'd advise leaving things alone once you've gotten (almost) everything just the way you want it.

I said "almost" because sometimes the changes you've made don't seem to "stick". After restarting Deluge, they sometimes have the bad habit to resetting to their defaults. Also, I can't seem to get it to remember where to save all my torrents, so I've compromised on doing that ye ol' manual way for now. Hopefully, things'll get less rocky once Gutsy's released.

No comments:

Post a Comment